Union Representative Masterclass
As the employee relations climate becomes increasingly challenging and the changes in subscriptions play more and more into the hands of the member, union membership has now changed to a buying decision. This shift in emphasis is proving to be a real threat to the very existence of trade unions.
This unique Programme is delivered by Richard Masters, who was awarded the MBE in the 2014 Queens Birthday Honours, for an outstanding contribution to learning, development and employee relations in the public sector, spanning over 36 years. He has a unique perspective, having worked in both senior management roles and as a senior union official, in a major Department of State.
THIS TWO DAY WORKSHOP IS FOR:
Every Union representative / official who needs to get the best deal from the employer and whose goals are to increase membership density and convince members to retain their membership.
THIS WORKSHOP WILL HELP YOU:
Appreciate the need, and develop a strategy for, taking a different approach to union representation in an increasingly hostile climate. Resisting Change and sticking with traditional approaches is no longer an option, as employers demand a more modern and sophisticated response from unions, influenced by an administration with an ideological opposition to the concept of politically motivated unions. This workshop will open up your mind to an alternative approach, which has a proven track record in getting better results for union members.
THIS WORKSHOP WILL GIVE YOU:
A unique, forward-thinking and strategic approach to union representation; the skills required to improve your personal effectiveness for the benefit of members and the trade union movement; a better insight into human behaviour, communication, and the power of Influence.
- Recognising the challenges and threats faced by unions for their very existence
- Understanding the influence triggers that people respond to when making choices; how to appeal to their preferences; how to win the deals you want and influence members to stay as members
- Identifying the key principles of successful influencing and negotiating; exploring your beliefs and values about what influencing means; developing the confidence to apply a range of skills to achieve successful outcomes
- Improving your personal effectiveness and impact on others; overcoming negative beliefs; making a powerful first impression; considering your communication style and creating a positive impact
- Recognising why some people are “difficult” and applying the skills to deal confidently with them; why we see certain people as ‘difficult’, and the significance of our own beliefs